Forty. Damn. I can honestly say that I didn’t think I’d ever get to this milestone. (And it’s still more than a month away, so maybe I need to knock on some wood!) I’ve been trying to think of how to celebrate the Big 4-O and discarding plans at every turn. International travel? Who has money for that? Vegas? Moooney. Disney World? Yeah, you get the picture. So, in lieu of making my friends go on some splashy, expensive, trip with me in the middle of winter, I’ve decided to make a list of 40 things I want to do in and around February. I don’t expect to get them all done, but you never know!
1. Go axe-throwing.
2. Get a massage. (I’ve never, ever, had one! Can you believe it?) Update: I’ve been gifted one; I just have to book it!
a staycation night at the Library Hotel or some other shmancy place. DONE!
4. Go to Sylvia’s or Amy Ruth’s for lunch or brunch.
5. Go to Barcade or hit up Dave & Buster’s for Skee-Ball.
Get a famous chocolate chip cookie from Levain Bakery DONE!
Visit the Museum of Sex. DONE!
8. Vacation some place warm!
9. Hit up Tea & Sympathy again.
Say “yes” to more things. ONGOING!
Do the boozy-snacky movie experience at the Nitehawk or Alamo Drafthouse. DONE!
Try a regional cuisine I’ve never had before. DONE! (I tried kimchi and Korean BBQ!)
Start or finish another book. DONE! Started a new book and started and finished a short story!
14. Get purple highlights/streaks.
Get another tattoo! DONE!
See Black Panther multiple times. DONE!
17. Make out with somebody.
Eat a churro. (Yes, I’ve never had a churro. IDK why!) DONE!
19. Get TKTS same-day tickets for a Broadway show.
20. Win the Hamilton lottery (hahahahahahahahahaha)
21. Go on a date! (A good date, not a bad date!)
22. Finally visit the Bronx Zoo.
Try an egg cream! DONE!
24. Eat Popeye’s.
25. Have a dosa at the Ganesh Temple Canteen in Flushing.
See Proud Mary. DONE!
See Love, Simon. DONE!
28. See A Wrinkle in Time.
29. See Pacific Rim: Uprising.
30. Go to D.C. for a weekend and hit up the museums.
31. Level up in Indian cooking and learn how to make an appetizer or a dessert!
32. Take a boxing class.
33. Plan that Scotland whiskey trip I’ve been wanting to do for years.
34. Do karaoke.
35. Do pub trivia.
Have a chocolate martini. DONE!
Try an author I’ve never read before. DONE!
Figure out where I’m moving next! DONE-ish!
Splurge and buy myself a nice bottle of peaty single-malt scotch. DONE!
Pick a nice/favorite restaurant to have dinner on my actual birthday. No spending that day alone! DONE!